Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Make A Liar Out Of Me. Fine, I'll Take This One.

The "Growing" Bowl of Oatmeal.  Before it actually grew.
No sooner do I lament the 5 pounds that would not go away that they suddenly vanish (and take a few buddies along with them).  Suddenly, I find myself at 170 pounds lost with less than 2 pounds to go.

Initiating panic mode.

Panic mode initiated.

PANIC!

I think one thing that pushed me past the latest plateau is really holding myself accountable for EVERYTHING I shove into my face.  One of the culprits I continued to believe contributed (but took me long enough to do something about it, eh?) was the Growing Bowl of Oatmeal.  I initially remained true to the recipe, but was lured by the soothing sounds of "Fruits are Free!  FREE!"

It was innocent enough.  A little more than half an apple.  Okay, maybe the full apple.  Maybe some banana for creaminess.  Why just half a banana when you could have a whole flipping banana.  More berries.  Berries!  BERRIES, I TELL YOU, BUAHAHAHAHA!

... and so on.

So, it took maybe about 4 or 5 goes of the "10 pounds to go!  5 pounds to go!  10 pounds to go!"-yo-yo when I finally said, "Okay, no more oatmeal."

And this lasted 20 seconds.

No, I did not immediately have a bowl of oatmeal.  But I recalled that depriving oneself when trying to lose weight can really backfire on you.  At least, it did for me.

So I said, "B'klyn<3, do not eliminate oatmeal.  Write it down."

So I sat with the Weight Watcher's online recipe builder and placed in all of the components of my glorious over-sized oatmeal bowl.

All I will say on this matter is, "Gasp!"

When I decided that while it was (indeed) glorious, it was not glorious enough to allow "Gasp!"

So I rebuilt it in the system.  I removed the extraneous fruits that made it into the cooked bowl.  I even took out the "growing" portion (which was adding double liquid to increase the volume) since I figured maybe it was causing my stomach to stretch out (because I was starting to feel frequently uncomfortable eating it).  I figured, it would not be so glorious.

Turns out... it was just as glorious.  Just as filling, without the uncomfortableness at the end.  And at the end of the day, not something I needed to eat every single day.

So finally, 30+ years of having the same breakfast every morning for 3 month stretches has been broken.

Was this the key to getting under 2 pounds to goal?  Hell if I know.  I'd like to think so at least.

However, I panic because I'm not yet at the point where I can do a victory lap.  Hell, when I hit goal, I still can't do a victory lap.  There will still be stuff to do!

Taking it easy, and doing what I have been doing all along.  Eating well, working out, and trying new things.  This week's meeting was about tracking, so I decided (based on what another member at the meeting said she tracked) that I would make and track a goal every day.

I decided my goal for today was to take a picture of everything I eat.  EVERYTHING.  Even BLTs*, anything that goes down the gullet gets snapped.  It's amazing how much the thought of having to take a picture of it has prevented me from rummaging in the fridge for anything ever.

I may hang on to that method for now.  I leave you for now, but thank you very much for your continued support and encouragement.  I may make goal yet!

*Bites, Licks, Tastes.  No, not bacon.

1 comment:

  1. Will you send me your tweeked recipe? Sounds good (and smells yummy in the morning!)

    ReplyDelete