Saturday, March 5, 2011

When Girl Meets Sidewalk

So, after a long time of being possibly the laziest human being on the planet being concerned about weather and looking into other exercise options, I decided I really needed to get back into running again.  I learned a couple of days ago what taking many days off from running can do to you (yet again... though taking 2 weeks off is much worse than taking 4 days off).  I decided to not get too bummed about not being able to run as far or as fast as I once did in my yester-week and do what I do best: start over.


Then, in what I find to be an ironic twist of fate, I decided to take a tumble onto the one thing you rarely find in my neck of the woods and often complain about the lack of:  a sidewalk.  


A couple of palm scrapes and this.  Yup.  I was a trooper...
HARD CORE TROOPER!
I was in the zone (but the bad zone where I am not really paying attention to what I'm doing, which is why I listen to music so that I'll at least keep a minimum pace).  There was no ice nor any tree limbs to blame... the young Brooklyn Heart had moments ago stepped bravely back into the ring, and was jumped (legitimately this time) by The Pavement.


My arms flew up in front of me as I started falling, the thought going through my head "Nooooo, not my face, I need that to liiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeevvvvee"... and about 3/4 of the way through the fall (yes, it was super slow-motion), the word face got replaced by the word iPhone, with an accompanying slight body twist.


It sped up again.  Bang-slam-slide-Crash!


It was quite epic.  I'm glad anyone who saw it was in a car going 45 MPH in a 30 zone.


So, there I was, halfway through my run, my heart-rate plummeting (or maybe not).  Some slight scrapes on my palms, and I know my right arm near the elbow is likely torn to shreds.  I could call The Husband and have him pick me up while I stand there, bleeding and whimpering.  Or I can finish my run... while bleeding and whimpering.


It'll save gas-OMIGODTHEPAIN-so let's go.


So, despite me, nature, and the sidewalk being against me... I will be running again.  And despite my trying to buff up my arms for a future cosplay*, my arms will be a wonderful collection of scars and bruises.


In unrelated news, the quilt is almost, but not quite.  I am slow as heckery, but all I have to do is place on the binding.
The actual stitching was both not-fun and
very fun.  Isn't that strange?


So... it's not going to win awards.  When I tried to "stitch in the ditch", I drove up onto the sidewalk and zig-zagged like a crazy person most of the way.  The squares of off.  It's crooked.  It's crazy... but I do love it.  It really does remind me of me in many ways. I can't wait to sew some more and one day perhaps become slightly okay at it.  :)  


In any case, hope to finish this up soon and share some final pictures with you.

Sorry sweater!  I will finish you, I promise!


* Yes, I said cosplay.  I have a lot of geeky habits.  Cosplay would have been one, but I'd always been intimidated by my size.  Now, I will be doing it.  If you know me, you know I'm a huge geek.  If you don't... then I have some news for you.  


Are you sitting?  


Okay.  Here's the news.


I'm a huge geek.

No comments:

Post a Comment