Monday, January 24, 2011

Warm and Bakey

Unless it is summer (where I tend to go through cereal like a mad person), I like my breakfast hot and already prepared.  My first true attempts at make-ahead breakfast involved the WeightWatchers Slow-Cooker Pumpkin Oatmeal (which I've yet to make with pumpkin, but I have made with Butternut Squash, Apple, and a blend of those two things.


My newest attempt was a breakfast casserole.  Cooking Light's Hash Brown Casserole with Bacon, Onion and Cheese was very rich and creamy... and potato-ey, wow!  It is crazy that it serves six!  Very generous portions.


Intended mod: Used fat-free cheese.  It melted just fine based on recipe instructions, and shaved off a few calories.


Unintended mod: Realized I used up all my scallions, so no green onions in this one.  Also, I didn't have quite a cup of regular onion, so I subbed in some leftover red onion I had.


Verdict: will make again, but will maybe make it 8 portions and work on getting in more bacon flavor, which kind of got lost in the sea of onion and omg-potato.  I have to agree with The Husband on these things.

1 comment:

  1. Makes me wonder if any place around here sells pre-cut pumpkin...

    ReplyDelete