Thursday, October 6, 2011

Beans on... Oats? Sacrilicious!

Warning - If you are not a fan of savory oats or just not used to my sometimes strange food fetishes, stop reading... NOW, see you tomorrow!  *smootches*


Oh, you're still here?  


Don't say I didn't warn you.


--------------------


I won't lie.  I totally went there.


Creamy breakfast porridge with sweet Heinz 57 beans
When I was a child, I had a fever. 


My hands felt just like two oven mitts.  


This morning I had that fever once again, I can't explain, you would not understand... 


This is exactly who I am.  I'm a freak.


So essentially my desire to have beans, oatmeal and spinach spilled into my second ever savory oatmeal.  Once again, the first bite took some mind adjustments.  I wound up actually liking the dish, though I think next time I'd add in some actual garlic.


The Husband kept pretty reserved until I got out of him he hated everything about it except the beans.  "Then," he said, "it's just beans!"


Indeed, sir.  Indeed.


Pretty much what I'd envisioned when I could
have been fast asleep...
Oh.  And you know I added spinach.  


Hate me all you want.  Hate it all you want.  I enjoyed every last bite.
(Besides, told you I was a freak, you can't stop me.)


In any case, it hit the spot and I think I won't be seeing it again until the dead of winter.  It struck me as a dead of winter need-my-proteins-to-stick-to-my-bones kind of dish.  


And guess what, The Husband?


Winter is coming.


(Yup.  Totally went there too.)




Beans on Oats

Serves 2

Ingredients
1 cup uncooked old fashioned pats
2.2 cups water
Pinch of Kosher salt
1 cup Heinz 57 Baked Beans
2 medium scallions
3 oz spinach
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast

Directions
1. Add oats, water and salt to a pan and bring to a boil.

2. Add 1/2 of the beans, lower to a simmer and cook for 10-12 minutes until oats are nearly done.

3. Add nutritional yeast, then spinach in batches and cook until spinach is wilted.

4. Serve in two bowls and top with remaining beans and scallion slices.
  
5. Marvel at the non-faces your The Husband makes as you scoff your bowl down and satisfy the fever.



I certainly enjoyed it.  This bowl survived 3 whole minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment