Monday, October 3, 2011

The Good, The (Not-So) Bad, And The... Well...

As usual, I was lulled by the siren's call of Mac & Cheese.  I was very prepped to do one recipe, but got sidetracked by another...


Barbecued Tofu, Brussels Sprouts and Apple,
and Fake-Out Mac

Reviews of the meal I was going to make for The FiL while he was visiting, which The Husband and I spent a large amount of time making tonight so that the food would not go bad.

The great thing about this plate of food was the Chipotle Barbecued Tofu as presented by Fat Free Vegan Kitchen.  Man-oh-man!  The sauce was totally off the hook!  The Husband likened it to KC Masterpiece, only "kicked up a couple of notches."  It was sweet, smokey and flavorful.  OK... confession.  I did add a couple of drops of Liquid Smoke.  Maybe it didn't really need that, but I certainly cannot help myself sometimes.  No matter what, we'll be making that sauce again and again in the future.

The Husband also liked the tofu!  We think the difference may be the new vice press that is TofuXpress, which really gets the liquid out and makes the tofu all nice and firm and nummy.  Great investment, if it gets The Husband liking tofu more and I don't have to use so many paper towels and stoneware to get a quarter of the result...

Ye olden way of pressing tofu...
At least my ye olden way.
I also made the Whole Foods recipe for Brussels Sprouts with Apples and Shallots.  It was good, though not oh-my-god-this-is-freaking-amazing-chipotle-barbeque-sauce good.  The apples and sprouts balanced out to a nice mellow flavor.  I can't lie though.  When I ate this, I added a bit more salt and pepper.  The husband found the recipe ultra confusing.  I had to read it a few times to realize he's right.  I guess though I'm scatter-brained enough to get it... 

The disappointment was the Fake-Out Mac 'n Cheese from Happy Healthy Life.  The pictures were amazing, and oh!  That siren's call.  And yet...  not bad.  It just wasn't my thing.  The Husband didn't mind it and finished off what I left (which was most of it, I don't believe in bites that are disappointing).  He did point out that perhaps I didn't like it because I was never a fan of blue box Mac and Cheese. 

And he's right.  I was all about the Deluxe.  The original recipe I was going to make.  Well, there will be revenge of Mac & "Cheese" this weekend!  I will make the recipe I was originally.  I have even higher hopes for it now (and based on other stuff I've made from this particular book, I'm sure they will be met).

Seriously though.  If you don't learn anything from this post, learn this... make that Chipotle Barbecue sauce. Smother it on everything.  Even your pumpkin.

No comments:

Post a Comment